Saturday 17 July 2010

Old ideas, new methods

"I'm going to make a game!" - Marc Stoate (2001)

Ah yes, those six words that I would say over and over again for the next nine years without them ever coming close to reality. Until now! Nine years on and I have finally got the knowledge and mindset to make anything my mind can conjure up. Through this blog you will witness the birth, life and death of my first ever game. You will see my triumphs and failures. My high's and low's. My problems and their solutions. Not only is this blog intended for those whom I promised this game to all those years back, but also for any C# and XNA developers out there looking for inspiration or a few quick 'how to' guides for some not so common problems.

The game itself will be an RPG starring myself and as many of my friends as I can logically fit into it. Seeing as this is my first project (or at least the first one I intend to finish...) I'll be keeping it simple and using the style of ye olde RPG's. By this I mean it will be a 2D top down sprite based game, similar to that of the original Final Fantasy's or Chrono Trigger. Naturally I'll be throwing in particle effects and maybe a few shaders for good measure but if your looking for mind numbingly good graphics and advanced shader techniques, you're in the wrong place!

As of next week I'll have six weeks holiday to start my tinkering! First up on the agenda: the map maker. May the madness begin!

4 comments:

  1. cannot wait :D this should be great fun to see fulfilled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you best not forget to actually meet up with your friends whilst on this hoiday. 1 because its my birthday whilst you're off and 2 because you need to design me for your game. and, well, i've been working out and im now massive ;) ..... ok i may have lied but the people that are gonna play your game dont know this ^_^ (apart from your friends that know me)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well due to it now being 2D again, I'm afraid its me going to be spriting you. Or at least a being that looks and acts like me. And I've already sprited you, so I can't possibly change it now ^_^.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have at it sir! You show those sprits who's boss! Good luck on your creative adventures :)

    ReplyDelete