Sunday 25 July 2010

Thinking ahead...

Yet another reason I don't plan things. I'm constantly changing my mind. Originally the idea was to save maps in XML. The only reason for this was that it would make it easier to mod the game once it had actually been completed. However, now that I've started making things it had dawned on me that I will be needing to store various instances of the same object with various properties. By this I mean: on any particular map I may use a tree. On the same map I may make another tree...which is actually the same tree I used before, just scaled to look slightly bigger. Saving this sort of information in XML is simply not as easy or convenient as saving it inside a custom file type. For this reason I have started making the Tileset, Tileset Manager, Object and Object Manager classes with this in mind.

This is the bit I hate the most. I'm constantly coding and there is nothing to show for it until the whole lot is done and they start working together. Nothing to see as of yet, but rest assured I'm doing stuff ;)

2 comments:

  1. hurry. i wanna be a professional tree surgeon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll carry on right after I've finished playing starcraft...and starcraft 2 ;)
    Actually I'll probably carry on as soon as I die and can't be bothered to do the same level again...

    ReplyDelete